Coming to work at summer camp as a counselor is a huge decision and a big commitment – you have to REALLY love kids to want to spend 24 hours a day, 6 days a week with them. Not only that but you have to be willing to put your all into absolutely everything…if you do though, these are the sorts of things you can expect from life as a summer camp counselor:
1. You will make some of the best friends you’ve ever had.
2. You will reach new levels of exhaustion you didn’t know were possible.
3. You will learn new skills, like how to build a fire or comfort a crying camper.
4. You will be sunburnt and sweaty one day and then totally sodden in the pouring rain the next.
5. You will count down the days, hours, minutes and seconds until your next day off.
6. You will love the little monkeys that are your campers more than you can imagine, even when they’re homesick and have you awake at 2am.
7. You will become an avid coffee drinker, even if you hated the stuff before.
8. You won’t see your wrists for the rest of the summer because they’ll be covered in friendship bracelets.
9. You will grow in confidence and learn how to be your ‘essential self’.
10. You will get covered in bug bites. Everywhere.
11. You will constantly be asked to say words like ‘Squirrel’ in your English accent – for some reason American kids think this is hilarious.
12. You will work harder than you ever have before, but you will have more fun doing so than you thought possible.