There’s a lot to be said about camp food. Sometimes comparable to school dinners, you either love it or you hate it. Or you love it and you hate it. Sometimes you walk into the Dining Hall, see what’s there and run to be first in line, other times you walk in, view the food and want to run out screaming. So here’s some of my favourite camp foods, in no particular order, except that desert obviously comes first:
1. Brownies. The kind that come in the big tray, all flat and gooey, not the ones in individual casings with weird strawberry stuff in the middle. The gooier the better. Add some milk into the mix and you’ve got the perfect desert.
2. Pizza. Sometimes its super cheesy, sometimes there’s a bit of meat thrown on top. But however it’s made, it’s delicious, and I’ll keep eating it as long as you keep making it.
3. Pasta Night. Ok so you can pretty much have pasta everyday, but once every 2 weeks we have ‘pasta night’, a glorious dinner that involves different types of pasta, a choice of sauces and various toppings. More please.
4. Pulled Pork. This one is a bit like marmite – you either love it or you hate it. Ok fine, I think I’m in the minority when I say I love it. But really I do. Pulled pork, a heap of BBQ sauce and bun. What’s not to love?
5. Marshmallow Mateys. Basically just a copy of (once banned in England) cereal ‘Lucky Charms’, these have become my staple breakfast food at camp. Forget the waffles and the bacon, just give me 2 packets of ‘Mateys’ and I’ll be all set until lunch.
6. Bagels. Whether you have them for breakfast with a schmear of cream cheese, or for lunch when they have been turned into the ‘pizza bagel’, these perfect buns with a hole in are always a treat.
7. Ice Cream. There’s nothing quite like ice cream at camp. What’s your flavour of choice? Chocolate, Vanilla, or Strawberry? Or a mixture of all 3? Whipped cream on top? Chocolate sauce? Sprinkles? Mmmm, delicious.
And there you have it, my top foods at summer camp. Now, can the next 4 months hurry up so I can eat them all please?!
What are some of your favourite camp foods?