Camp is a glorious place. If you’ve been reading the blog for a while, you’ll know that I’m a little obsessed and that camp truly is my favourite place is the world. There are a million things that I love and miss about camp when I’m not there but, as with most things, not everything is glorious all the time. I asked around and these are a couple of the things that came up that camp counsellors perhaps don’t miss so much about camp (I’m not going to lie though, finding 10 things that I don’t miss about camp was a bit of a struggle!):
- Having dirty feet all the time. This summer I started wearing crandals (Croc sandals – don’t know them till you’ve tried them) and oh jeez were my feet dirty at the end of each day! It’s quite nice to take my shoes off when I get home and my feet still be the same colour as the rest of my body.
- The food. It’s nice to eat whatever I want, when I want. And FISH. As much as I love not having to think about what I’m going to eat at camp, there’s something quite nice about being able to cook and prepare my own food and eat anything I feel like
- Only having 24 hours off per week. Ahh, weekends. I love weekends. 2 days off work/school/uni? Glorious.
- Being sweaty ALL the time. It’s really nice to be clean and not have that layer of gross, grimy sweat all over me everyday.
- The super thin toilet roll. I love Andrex. It’s so soft.
- Toilets that constantly require plunging. Flush and walk away.
- The lack of full length mirrors. It’s amazing how great it is to be able to see your whole self in a mirror. I haven’t seen a reflection of my legs for months.
- The awkward tank/crandle/shorts/bathing suit tan lines. Okay, so mine is still there, but it’s nice to know I won’t have funny lines on my body for ever.
- The early mornings and very long days. Not many jobs require you to be working pretty much 24 hours a day! And yes, I’m now back at uni, starting at 8:30 or 9am everyday, but I’m done at 4pm and the rest of my day is my own.
- The lack of privacy or ‘me’ time. It’s nice to just be able to sit in my bedroom and watch a few episodes of my favourite TV show, or just chill and listen to music, without any interruptions or demands of my time.
Even after thinking of all the things I don’t miss about camp though, I can’t help still loving it and wishing I was back there already. Bring on summer 2017!