You’ve read all about Lily, James‘ and Tash’s summer camp experiences, now it’s time to hear from Dawn, a long time camper and staff member.
1. Where did you go to camp? How many years?
Camp Sloane YMCA, 12 years, 1999- 2004 as a camper, and then 2009-2014 on staff.
2. Why did you decide to work at summer camp?
I decided to come back in 2009 with my best friend from camp. We were both looking for something to do for the summer (after being away at college in upstate new york aka COLD) and thought going back would be fun.
3. What is/was your role at camp?
Summer 09 I was a tent counsellor in junior girls and on the Adventure staff, and since then I’ve worked my way up through the ranks and am now the Day Camp Director.
4. Did camp meet your expectations? In what ways?
Yes! It was like being a camper, but getting paid for it! I loved adventure as a camper and always wanted to work on adventure staff.
5. What 3 essential items would you never go to camp without?
Extra socks, underwear and sneakers
6. What is your best/favourite camp memory?
My ultimate favourite was sneaking out of my tent as a camper (with my counsellor) into the creative arts building to get supplies to decorate our tent for my tent-mates birthday.
7. What is/was your favourite camp food?
8. What is/was your favourite camp cheer/chant?
Senior girls have the BEST cheers…the SUDS.
9. What is your favourite camp saying/word/expression?
‘Remember that time?’
10. Where did you travel to after camp (if you travelled)?
The one year I travelled, I went to Key West, Washington D.C, Chicago, and Colorado (the most of America I have ever seen!) However I have also been able to travel to the UK and the Netherlands since camp and stayed in all different places from friends I have made at camp in the past years.
11. How has camp influenced you/who you are/what you do?
I work in education and being at camp has made me a better teacher. I am particularly proud of my management skills, most of which I have learned at camp and have been complemented on in the classroom.
12. What is the BEST thing about being a summer camp counsellor?
The best thing about being a summer camp counsellor is getting to wake up at a job that you love with your best friends all around you!
13. What’s the WORST thing?
Getting sunburned and trying to sleep later that night.
14. What the most important thing that camp has taught you?
Camp has taught me to be my essential self (corny I know but its true).
15. Anything else you want to say to people thinking about working at summer camp?
Do it!! Camp is the greatest decision you will ever make – if you love being outside and hanging out with the coolest kids ever!