Last week we got the low down about summer camp from Anthony, and now we go over to Jemma who just spent her first summer on staff, after 8 years as a camper!
1. Where did you go to camp? How many years?
I was a camper at Camp Sloane for 8 years, and last summer (my 9th) was my first year on staff.
2. Why did you decide to work at summer camp?
I was originally a camper, so I moved along through the camper leadership training. I love camp so much that becoming a counselor was a no brainer for me.
3. What is/was your role at camp?
I was a junior girls tent counselor (ages 9-11) and I worked in the performing arts building.
4. Did camp meet your expectations? In what ways?
Yes! In so many ways. I wasn’t really sure what to expect, I didn’t know how different it would be to be on staff vs being a camper. Every year camp exceeds my expectations, and this year even more so. The friends you make here, the campers you meet, and the work you do is life changing.
5. What 3 essential items would you never go to camp without?
A watch, backpack, and sneakers.
6. What is your best/favourite camp memory?
My favorite thing every summer has to be dancing and singing in the dining hall after meals.
7. What is/was your favourite camp food?
As a vegan it is sometimes difficult to find great options at camp… the salad bar is my best friend.
8. What is/was your favourite camp cheer/chant?
This is a hard one… I’d have to go with ‘give me one‘.
9. What is your favourite camp saying/word/expression?
10. Where did you travel to after camp (if you travelled)?
I didn’t travel this summer, but next summer I am hoping to travel afterwards.
11. How has camp influenced you/who you are/what you do?
I was 8 years old my first summer at camp, so i’m sure camp has influenced me in many more way than I even know. I grew up looking up to counselors, and wanting to be and do everything that they were doing. My best friends are all from camp. Camp has fostered all of my passions, and taught me new ones too. I think that camp has simply made me, me.
12. What is the BEST thing about being a summer camp counsellor?
Positively impacting the lives of campers.
13. What’s the WORST thing?
14. What the most important thing that camp has taught you?
To be okay with being myself, growing up at camp has taught me that people will love you for who you are.
15. Anything else you want to say to people thinking about working at summer camp?
Do it! Just dive in. I know it can seem a little scary at first, but the memories you will have by the end of the summer will change you for the better. It will get hard at times but at the end of the day you will be so thankful for the opportunity.