After last week’s awesome interview with Ryan, it’s now over to Daniel to tell us what his first summer at camp was like.
1. Where did you go to camp? How many years?
I went to camp at Camp Sloane YMCA for 1 year as a counsellor
2. Why did you decide to work at summer camp?
I really wanted to see America and the culture over there. I really like working with kids so basically working at camp was the ideal summer job!
3. What agency did you apply to camp through and would you choose them again/how did you find their service?
I came through 3 Adventures – I’m using them again this year and would definitely recommend them!
4. What is/was your role at camp?
I was a swim teacher/lifeguard.
5. Did camp meet your expectations? In what ways?
Camp exceeded them. I met so many amazing people and the whole camp experience was like something you just can’t recreate. Cheesy yet true.
6. What 3 essential items would you never go to camp without?
Backpack , Swim trunks , Water bottle
7. What is your best/favourite camp memory?
My best memory of camp was probably Going across the lake on the pontoon boat and seeing the mythical turtles of wanonpakook
8. What is/was your favourite camp food?
9. What is/was your favourite camp cheer/chant?
‘Junior boys are boiling hot , attitude is what we got’.
10. What is your favourite camp saying/word/expression?
DOFF (day off)
11. How has camp influenced you/who you are/what you do?
Camp got me back into some sports I hadn’t done in a while and also showed me what life is like on the other side of the world , and it helped improve my coaching skills.
12. What is the BEST thing about being a summer camp counsellor?
Best part – teaching something you love and seeing people improve as time goes on in a particular skill or sport.
13. What’s the WORST thing?
Heavy rain days.
14. What the most important thing that camp has taught you?
Always have a positive attitude to things and keep on improving on your last attempts at tasks.
15. Anything else you want to say to people thinking about working at summer camp?
Be open to being silly , be yourself and you will have an amazing summer! Oh and drink lots of water.