In one of my earlier posts, I wrote about the summer camp agencies as a whole, and created a comparison chart so you could assess which agency would provide you with better value for money for your needs. But what about all the other little things that the agencies do or don’t give you? This is the first post in a series where I delve into the depths of the agencies and what they really do for you, starting with 3 Adventures.
With the tag line ‘connecting great camps with great staff‘, 3 Adventures promises you’ll have the ‘time of your life‘ at summer camp and, with their more than 50 years of combined experience in the summer camp industry, their application process really couldn’t be simpler. 3 Adventures is run by Camp Directors, previous camp counselors and J1 visa experts, so they really know their stuff when it comes to dealing with all the ins and outs of becoming a summer camp counselor. It is important to them that they don’t just place you at any camp that has a spot – they will work hard to find a placement for you that suits both your skills and interests, as well as the camp itself.
‘ We only work with summer camps that provide you with a wonderful experience and great working conditions’
It is free to apply to 3 Adventures, and their application process is very simple. Just follow it step by step from online application form to references to interview and you’ll be done in no time. 3 Adventures will help to place you as either a general counselor, a specialist counselor or even as support staff, depending on where your skills and experience lie. One thing to note however, is that even if you are accepted onto their program, there is no guarantee that you will be placed at a camp – you just sort of have to cross your fingers and hope that a camp likes the look of your application.
One of the great things about 3 Adventures is that they are always on hand to provide you with heaps of tips and any help when you need it. They are super fast to respond to emails, and will periodically check up on you to see how you are getting along with your application.
So, what do you get?
- A higher starting salary than a lot of other agencies offer. Salaries start at $1600 and increase with qualifications and responsibility.
- Food and accommodation… for free!
- Medical insurance that will cover you for your entire stay in America.
- 24/7 support when and if you need it.
- Visits from the 3 Adventures team throughout the summer.
- Help with obtaining all the documents you need for your J-1 visa.
- 30 days before and after camp to travel.
- A 3 Adventures t-shirt.
And, what do you pay?
- As a first time staff member, all of this will only set you back £345!*
- There are other costs too, such as your visa ($180), police check (roughly £45) and flights (this can vary depending on how early you book, but approx £400-600) – I have outlined how much it really costs to go to camp in another post.
- If you are a returner (or a direct placement applicant – first year, but you have already found a job at a camp) the cost starts at $375 but, in most cases, your camp will pay this fee.*
*Correct as of Sept 2016
So there you have it, everything you need to know about 3 Adventures. If you’re interested in applying with them, or just getting to know them better as a company, you can visit their website, like them on Facebook, follow them on Twitter for all the latest news and updates.
You can also call their US office on 1-888-724-4292 or email them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.