InterExchange are a company that have been getting people to camp in the USA for many years and they are very well-respected in the work abroad business, with programs all over the world. They are a designated J-1 visa sponsor and have a committed and informed team who will be on hand to help you with your camp application every step of the way.
The application process is as simple as possible, just head to their website, choose whether you want to work as a counselor or as part of the support team (office, kitchen, maintenance), hit the sign up button, pop in your email address and away you go! They will find you a placement and sort out everything you need, making sure the camps they place you at are going to give you the best possible experience, staying on hand 24 hours a day to support you the whole way through the process.
So what do you get?
- Food and accommodation at camp for the summer
- A placement at a camp in the USA
- Pay of up to $1750
- Online Pre-departure orientation and cultural resources
- Help with applying for your J1 visa, and all the paperwork to go with it.
- Accident and sickness insurance
- 24 hour support throughout the summer
- Assistance with transport to camp from New York City
- 30 days travel time after camp
- Camp USA Participant Handbook and Inside the USA Guide
And what do you pay?
- $335 (approx £270) covers the whole application process. It is broken down into two payments – $100 upon application and the last $235 upon placement*.
- You will need to find your own flights – costs vary but expect to pay around £450
- Third party costs also apply. These include your visa ($160), Police Check (approx £45-60) and medical check (cost varies depending on your GP)
*Correct as of Nov 2016
InterExchange also work with approved cooperators (independent agencies based in countries outside the US) who will help you with the process. If you go through one of the cooperators, you may get flights included in the fee (the fee and the amount you get paid will be slightly different however – you will need to check this with the agency you choose).
If you would like to apply for camp through InterExchange, head to their website to apply, or find out more on their Facebook or Twitter pages. If you want to talk to someone directly, you can give them a call on +1 (800) 597 1722 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org