By now, you probably get the idea that I think summer camp is the greatest job you’ll ever have. But instead of me just telling you that repeatedly, here’s a list of 90 reasons WHY summer camp is so awesome and why you absolutely have to apply! So if you’re undecided or you’ve filled in your application but are hesitant to hit ‘submit’, hopefully this list will be all the convincing you need!
1. You will make new friends.
2. You get to travel.
3. You get to hang out with kids all day.
4. You will get a killer tan.
5. You get to live with your friends 24 hours a day.
6. Your new friends will be from all over the world…plenty of places to stay when you go on your travels.
7. You get to teach your favourite sport, activity or hobby.
8. You get to be outside in nature.
9. Kids have an amazing energy that will lift your spirits everyday and make you want to be the best version of yourself.
10. You might meet the love of your life (I know plenty of couples who met at summer camp and are still together).
11. However you’re feeling, there is always someone to talk to.
12. It might help you decide what you want to do with your life.
13. You get to be someone the kids look up to.
14. It makes you feel awesome and cool.
15. People make you friendship bracelets.
16. Your job is to have fun.
17. You will see some of the most amazing sunsets.
18. It will be great to have a break from all the stress of uni or the daily working grind.
19. You will have so many other people to learn from.
20. You will laugh more than you have all year.
21. You will be out in the woods, in some of the most beautiful parts of the world.
22. You will learn how to build the most epic of fires.
23. You get a cool visa in your passport.
24. You get free food for the summer.
25. And free accommodation!
26. You’ll get to try new things that you’ve never experienced before.
27. You’ll get to explore the areas around camp on your days off.
28. The application process is so easy, a fish could do it. And then once you’re hired, everything else is sorted for you.
29. You get medical insurance included (and that stuff’s not cheap!)
30. Everyone else there has been in the same boat as you, so you will make friends easily.
31. It looks great on your CV.
32. You will learn how to become a leader, and that’s one of the most important things of all.
33. You will learn to find solutions, not problems.
34. You get paid to hang out with some of the most awesome kids.
35. Your perspective on your life and what matters will be altered for ever.
36. Summer romances.
37. You will push yourself out of your comfort zone, and that’s always a good experience.
38. There are gorgeous lifeguards everywhere.
39. You will learn how to ask for help.
40. And learn to recognise when someone needs help.
41. Running around all day after the kids is a great way to stay fit and healthy.
42. Sweets are better in the USA (Pretzel M&Ms anyone?).
43. The application process is great for practising your interview skills.
44. You’ll get a cool trip to the American Embassy.
45. You will learn all sorts of funny American words.
46. Along with your pay, you might also get tips. Americans tip REALLY well.
47. You will come back with soooo many stories you could write a book (or start a blog).
48. Everyday will be entirely different.
49. You will gain so much confidence without even realising it.
50. You will learn how to get on and work with all sorts of people, even the ones you don’t like.
51. You get to behave LIKE a child all summer.
52. You will gain fantastic experience for a possible future career (i.e. a teacher).
53. The food is oh so bad, but oh so good (ice cream sandwiches, pizza, pasta galore).
54. It’s a great way to hide from the ‘real’ world for a little bit longer.
55. Color War happens. And it’s the greatest.
56. Fighting with shaving cream is almost expected of you.
57. It’s ok if you don’t shower for a few days, ‘cos no one else has showered either.
58. You get to make a lasting impact on a child’s life – they will remember you forever.
59. There will always be like-minded people there.
60. You will learn new skills – there are so many activities to try!
61. S’mores will change your life.
62. You get to be your essential self – be who you really are, away from the people who have know you forever.
63. It is the least judgmental place on the planet.
64. You can apply with your best friend from home if you want to.
65. You will leave with the greatest organisational skills.
66. You will become a more confident public speaker.
67. Your home for the summer has a swimming pool, or a lake, or both!
68. You can conquer your fears of creepy crawlies.
69. It’s a chance to get away from social media.
70. You will get to really live in the moment and forget about everything outside the camp bubble.
71. You will have a solid support system around you at all time.
72. If you do a good job, it’s a chance to have a great reference for a future job.
73. You will learn patience.
74. You will learn how to communicate with children of all ages and abilities.
75. Your coaching and teaching skills will improve massively.
76. You’ll learn how to work as part of a team.
77. You will come out of it with friends for life – you might even spend the next 3 years travelling with them, like I did.
78. You will be idolised by children all summer.
79. It will be so much better than any other summer job you get at home.
80. You will have the chance to inspire kids everyday.
81. You will come home with an enormous amount of photos to put on your bedroom walls or turn into a scrapbook.
82. It’s a chance to be totally independent and stand on your own two feet.
83. People are always smiling and laughing at summer camp…it’s contagious.
84. It’s a great chance to give up smoking!
85. And drinking.
86. Your accent will be deemed charming and hilarious by all the kids.
87. It’s great practise for when you have kids of your own.
88. But it will make you want to hold off on any baby plans for while.
89. You get to sing and dance at meal times.
90. I promise that it will be the greatest summer of your life, and will leave you wanting to go back for more!